April 2005
Home Up

SOUTH FLORIDA FM ASSOCIATION APRIL 11, 2005 MINUTES OF MEETING

PRESIDENT: RONNIE HAIK KG4DBI
VICE PRESIDENT: ANDY PICHS N3PI (Not Present)
SECRETARY: JOANNE CARBANA KG4GKU
TREASURER: JAMES CARLIN KF40UI

DIRECTORS:
ANDY PICHS N3PI 01-07 (Not Present)
SAM HARTE KQ4LMR 00-06 (Not Present)
JEFF GARNETT KG4CNM 05-08
WEB SITE: http:/www.sffma.net

MAIL YOUR DUES TO:
FM ASSOCIATION
POB 430028
MIAMI, FL 33243

Meeting was called to order at 19:45 with 26 present.

Ronnie welcomed all to the SFFMA meeting. The meeting was being broadcast live on the air tonight from the EOC. Testing is going on in another room.

Ronnie requested a moment of silence for Roger Guajardo KD4VNN who passed away recently.

The microphone was then passed around the room and everyone stated their name and call sign.

Ronnie welcomed everyone again.

Repeater update:

John spoke about the 147.000. It is up and running.

Ray spoke about the 146.760. It is up and working. Used with March of Dimes Walk-A-Thon.

Robert spoke about the 224.200. Working.

No other repeater trustees were present.

Ronnie announced that we have Jeff Garnett giving a presentation tonight of a slide show of the March of Dimes Walk-A-Thon. He will be showing them during and after the meeting.

Old Business:

Last month's minutes were posted on the web. A motion to accept the minutes was made by Felipe and seconded by Chris.

Ray thanked Lysette for coordinating the March of Dimes Walk-A-Thon that took place last weekend. Lysette called in and spoke with Jeff and wanted to pass on a big thank you to everyone who helped and a big thank you to Carl for the use of the EOC.

Ray asked that we use the club banners when we help out at events. Ronnie said that the banners will be at the MS Breakaway.

Ray spoke about the use of water misters. He wants to put a meter on them so that we can get business along the way to donate water. We can use them with the MS Breakaway too. Let Ray know if you are going to be near a building with water. Robert advised that he has 3 - 55 gal food grade drums, but the trailer poses a logistics problem. James advised that he has an open bed truck that can take 500 lbs - only 1 drum of water. Robert said that his dad has a shop at mile marker 98 and we can park vehicles and trailers there overnight without a problem.

Randy said that Lysette said that next year the March of Dimes Walk-A-Thon was going to be moved to Crandon Park, but he is not sure. We will have to speak with Lysette.

Ernesto announced that at next month's meeting, we will be working on the ARES/RACES ID cards. He just needs to finish the breakaway first.

Ronnie reminded everyone that dues are officially due Jan 1, 2005. Give your dues to James tonight or send them to the PO Box. Dues are $30.00 per year and $5.00 for each family member.

Joanne spoke about CERT. There is a CERT exercise on Saturday, May 7. It will start at 7:15 AM at Tropical Park and should be concluded by 3:00 PM. See Joanne for any further information.

New Business:

Ernesto then spoke about the MS Breakaway to Key Largo. The revised numbers are that we now have 1,700 riders registered so far this year. He still needs volunteers badly. Ernesto has the volunteer forms on his website. Fill it out and fax it in. The website is KG4LXH.com. The main event is for April 16 and 17. The FAX number is 305-971-0595. Do not mail the flyer to the MS office. If you want to email the form to Ernesto, the email address is: MS150@KG4LXH.com.

Ronnie announced that if you have ARPSC flags to use them. You can purchase them from him this weekend. They are $8.00 each. He also reminded those volunteering, lunch will be supplied, but bring your own beverage and anything else you may need. Net Control will be Randy and Kevin. Ray announced that if you have AIM on your cell phone you can check in and use that mode of communication as well as county pagers to reach people.

James suggested that everyone bring their own cooler and to be self-sufficient. Bring a lawn chair, umbrella for the sun, etc.

Robert announced that he is using his tracker. He tested his and it is working.

Ronnie then announced that June 25 and 26 is field day. We are having a joint field day with the American Radio Club. The exact location will be advised later. Everyone camps out and they have a huge cookout. Details will be given as we get closer.

Robert announced that he has a bag of extra shirts from the Walk-A-Thon - they are x-large and anyone that wants one can have one while they last.

Ronnie spoke about next year's Hamboree. There is a new slate of people. Jeff is the President of the Dade Radio Club and Robert is the Chairman of the Hamboree. Robert wants to bring the show back to what it was. Handing out the cards really worked. He needs everybody's help. He needs someone to volunteer for the manpower chairman. John Vecchio can't do it. Robert asked that everyone fill out the comment form on the website - Hamboree.org; Hamboree.net or Hamboree.com. It will help him for next year.

Ronnie announced that he is looking for suggestions for guest speakers so that we can have one at each of our meetings or a presentation. Robert suggested USAR on the current terrorism threats, etc. Ray suggested that we might go to where a guest speaker is instead of them coming here, like a tour of the hurricane center, but it would have to be announced at least 2 months in advance.

Ronnie then spoke about a meeting location for when Carl retires. Suggestions were made by Frank that he could get Coral Reef Senior High auditorium. Eddie said he could get the American Red Cross place. Ray said we could stay right at the EOC because he can reserve the room here.

Ray advised that the ARPSC meetings are nonproductive. There were only 6 people last time. A change in location, time and/or day were discussed. Carl said that we meet at 0900 the first Saturday of each month unless we have an event at La Carretta at Bird and 87th Avenue. Suggestions were made and Carl will look into other ideas.

With no other business, Ronnie announced that refreshments were in the cafeteria. He thanked everyone for coming.

The meeting was adjourned at 20:30.

Joanne Carbana
KG4GKU

05/09/2005

    South Florida FM Association, 2003   
   

National Homeland Security Knowledgebase